Candles are a fun way to decorate the inside and outside of your house for Halloween. You can make your own Halloween decorations using glass jars and a little creativity. Add a spooky ghost, or witch on a broomstick to the mason jar to create a Halloween mason jar candle that will add just the right touch of spookiness to your decor.
Supplies Needed to Make a Flaming Glass Jar Halloween Candle:
- Any clean glass jar. This can be a mason jar, food jar, or jelly jar that has been thoroughly cleaned and dried.
- Mod Podge
- Food coloring
- Masking Tape
- Tea light or candle
Instructions for making a Glass Jar Halloween Candle
- Paint the inside of the jar orange. You can do this easily by mixing a little bit of mod podge and food coloring in the jar. Mix it right in the jar and then swirl it around to cover the inside of the jar. Let dry overnight.
- Rip of pieces of masking tape (varying the length and width of each piece) and attach to the outside of the jar. You’re trying to make it look like flames. Place the tape along the bottom half of the jar, with the masking tape placed vertically to resemble the flames.
- Paint the outside of the jar with black spray paint. Let dry.
- Remove the masking tape.
- Insert a battery-operated tea light, or candle, into the jar and you now have a candle that has the black and orange colors of Halloween, plus it looks like flames. Very cool!
You can also add some ribbon to the top of the jar, or any additional design elements that you think jazz it up a bit. I’ve outlined the basic steps, but you can get really creative with this one.
Here are a few pictures to show you how easy it is to make this flaming Halloween candle.
Here is a video from expertvillage that shows you all of details for how to make these great candles.
Here are a few more of my favorite Halloween candle ideas.
Halloween jar lanterns photo courtesy of frykitty on Flickr.
DIY mummy candles photo courtesy of Cy-V on Flickr.
Image of bat candle courtesy of slgckgc via Flickr.